edde2016

Hi! I only made $586.00 on a w2 working as an avon employee. I also sold only $386.00 as an independent sales associate. Can I file the 386.00 as misc. income?

I am 70 and receive social security. Also, I file jointly with my husband and he is retired and reports a non taxable pension and social security.  Do I need to use the self-employed turbo tax? If not, it will save me some money:) Thanks so much!!

KarenL2

Yes.  Since it was under $400, you can file it as Miscellaneous Other Income on line 21 of the Form 1040.   Actually, the best way to enter it is as Hobby Income which will also go on line 21.  Here's where to go to enter it:

• Federal Taxes tab (Personal tab in the Home & Business version)
  • Wages & Income (Personal income in the Home & Business version)
  • Continue or I'll Choose What I Work On (if they show up)
  • scroll to Less Common Income
  • then, Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A, 1099-C
  • select to Start or Update
  • on the next screen, scroll to Hobby Income and Expenses 

KarenL2

• scroll to Less Common Income
  • select to Start or Update