Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Hi, I need to file my 2020 tax returns. My son dont have SSN (or ITIN). I am planning to apply SSN this month. What are the options for me to file tax returns by May 17th

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

Hi, I need to file my 2020 tax returns. My son dont have SSN (or ITIN). I am planning to apply SSN this month. What are the options for me to file tax returns by May 17th

To file by 17 May you can file your return and apply for an ITIN at the same time using one of the options in this link.  

However, you may be better to file an extension by 17 May to get an filing extension to 15 Oct, apply and obtain the SSN for your son and making him eligible for stimulus payments as your dependent with a valid social security number, then you can file your return by 15 Oct.  

To work the extension start your return, enter your personal information without your son on the return, put in your income and deductions and then go the "Other Tax Situations" tab.

Scroll down to "Other Tax Forms"

"Show More"

"Start" the  "File an Extension" topic

If TurboTax is indicating you may owe taxes you can send in a payment with your extension to mitigate any late payment fees. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you for the response.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies