• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mmartinsattie

Hi! I have a new job (W-2) and I am having trouble filling out the W4 and D4. Has anyone been through this?

I am married filing jointly. We have no kids. I have no idea what to put on the fields "Extra Withholding", "number of allowances", "Estimated Deductions", "Additional Amount"....we have no kids! thanks!!!
3 Replies
Critter-3
Level 15

Hi! I have a new job (W-2) and I am having trouble filling out the W4 and D4. Has anyone been through this?

Use the Tax Withholding Estimator on the IRS web site to figure out what you and your husband should each put on the W-4 forms that you give to your employers. It's much easier than using the worksheets on the form. It will let you adjust your withholding to get the approximate refund amount that you want.

Tax Withholding Estimator

fanfare
Level 15

Read and follow the instructions for W-4 which are a part of the Form W-4.

It will tell you what to do.

fanfare
Level 15

"Has anyone been through this?"

Anyone who takes a regular job for wages has to fill out the W-4.

Report your filing status: Married, and leave everything else blank if you are still uncertain.

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings
v