Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!

santifeld

Hi, I had two jobs and got the respective W2's at different times. I am getting a Duplicate SSN error with the latter in the last step. What do you recommend I do?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

If you already filed a tax return claiming the income from the first W2, you will need to file an amended tax return.

You need to wait until the first tax return has been completely processed. If you receive a refund, deposit, but do not spend because the outcome may be changing.

You will then prepare your amended tax return to include both W2s. You will have to print and mail your amended return to the IRS because they do not accept this form, 1040X, for e-file.

For more information, follow these links:

What to Include with Amended Tax Returns 

How to Amend 

Tips to Amend 

IRS on 1040X

How to Amend 

Tips to Amend 

IRS on 1040X

santifeld

Hi Caroylin,

Thanks for the information.

I am outside the US; is it possible to email this information when doing the amended tax return?

Please let me know.

Thanks,
Santiago

Unfortunately, no. The IRS will only accept amended tax returns by mail. There are some states, such as NY, which are accepting amended returns for e-file, but the IRS isn't there yet.
santifeld

Hi Carolyn,

I will not be back to the US for an indefinite amount of time so mailing it is quite hard given my situation.

What can be the penalty for not claiming my return for this second job in particular? The amount in question is very small.

Thanks,
Santiago

The IRS might adjust your return for the missing W2.  Did you already get a refund from the first one?   You can wait and see if the IRS sends you a letter or bill.  At least fill out the amended return to see if you owe or get some refund back.  You have 3 years to file an amended return.  If you are getting a refund there is no penalty.