kathy-lee-huynh

Hi, I filed my taxes and selected the option that I can be claimed on my parents taxes.Why does it say I'm expecting a refund when my parents are claiming me?

I was audited by the IRS last year because I filed independently and my parents claimed me. This year, I made sure to check the box stating that I am claimed. But I'm concern if filing my taxes will effect them. Especially when it says I'm expecting some tax refund.

AnthonyC

There is no reason that you can't still be entitled to a tax refund even when being claimed as a dependent.  Being claimed as a dependent means you won't get your $4,050 personal exemption and credits such as EIC or education credits, but you are still entitled to your $6,300 standard deduction.  So, its very possible you can still get a refund.  

If you want, you can preview your Form 1040 in the online version and view your tax summary using the steps below.  You should be able to see your income and standard deduction and how much tax you paid and why you are getting a refund if you follow the calculations.  

• Log in your account
  • Click Take Me to My Return
  • Select My Account (top right of blue banner)
  • Select Tools
  • Select View My Tax Summary
  • Here you will see a Tax Summary of your return so far
  • In the grey banner, click Preview my 1040

AnthonyC

• Log in your account
  • Click Take Me to My Return
  • Select Tools
  • Select View My Tax Summary