Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

anils9

Hi, i dont have a first name as per my social security records and my complete name is listed in the last name

hi, i dont have a first name as per my social security records and my complete name is listed in the last name. Can you help me on what should i enter my first name as in this case when i dont have first name when filing for my returns in turbotax for 2016. http://www.happyschools.com/fnu-problem-driving-license-ssn/
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Hi, i dont have a first name as per my social security records and my complete name is listed in the last name

IRS doesn't cross match first names on the tax return, so that wont be an issue. 

But I believe TurboTax will require at least 1 letter be placed in the first name box.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

6 Replies

IRS doesn't cross match first names on the tax return, so that wont be an issue. 

But I believe TurboTax will require at least 1 letter be placed in the first name box.

anils9

thanks a lot lisa, any suggestion on what should be the 1 letter in this case, will - letter be ok?

I don't think it will accept a - symbol, it has to be a alphabetic letter.   It would only be in the case of them issuing you a refund check that the name on it may pose an issue for you to negotiate.   Let me see if I can dig up any useful info for this type of situation

I don't think it really matters, so I think I would just enter the first letter of whatever you use as your First Name (or even enter the entire name).  As Lisa said, the e-file system does not cross-reference your first name.
pk
Level 15
Level 15

Anil, that being your first name and agreeing with all the comments above  by TGBill Na Lisa99, you should go back to Social Security Admin and have them correct your names ( first and last ) --- they should be able to do this pretty quickly-- use your passport from home country ( India ? ) to prove your point.  Otherwise this problem will persist and sooner or later  will end up in an inconvenient situation.  A visit to SSA office in your loacality would be easy way to rectify the  problem. Good Luck

easy perhaps but not swift. Be prepared to wait if you walk into an SS office.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies