turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Hi - I don't believe I qualify for a stimulus payment but turbo tax is not letting me opt out of the stimulus credit before filing my return.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

Hi - I don't believe I qualify for a stimulus payment but turbo tax is not letting me opt out of the stimulus credit before filing my return.

If you are getting a Recovery Rebate Credit on your 2020 return, you may qualify for the payment. 

To qualify, you must:

• Be a US citizen or resident alien.
  • Not be claimed as a dependent on someone else's tax return. 
  • Have an Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) up to $75,000 for individuals and up to $150,000 for married couples filing joint. If your AGI is above this amount, your payment will be reduced. 

Since the first and second round stimulus payments were based on your last tax return filed, your situation may have changed for tax year 2020, which would now make you eligible for the Recovery Rebate Credit

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks for the quick response. Is there a way to opt out of this credit on the turbo tax sofware? 

AlanT222
Expert Alumni

If TurboTax is saying that you qualify for the credit and you want to opt-out, the easiest way to do this is to say that you received the stimulus payments.  Follow the directions below and enter the exact amount of the Recovery Rebate Credit.  This will take your Credit to Zero.  Then Check Line 30 on your 1040 to make sure it also says Zero.  

1. Log into Turbotax
  2. Click Federal Review ( you should see "Let's make sure you got the right stimulus amount")
  3. Click Continue
  4. Click "Yes" and fill in the amount to take your credit to zero.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies