turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kang_qian

Hi, I changed my job in 2019 and employer paid sick leave and PTO under W-2. I am wondering whether it makes me have tax due this year. Please kindly advise. Thanks.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Hi, I changed my job in 2019 and employer paid sick leave and PTO under W-2. I am wondering whether it makes me have tax due this year. Please kindly advise. Thanks.

Whether you have tax due depends on a lot more than sick leave and PTO. The best way to find out is to just do your tax return. If you want to get a quick estimate, you can use TaxCaster.

kang_qian

Hi rjs,

Thanks for reply. I probably didn't make myself understood. I meant my previous employer paid my sick leave and PTO balance under my last paycheck. Does that make my tax due ? 

Thanks,

Katrina  

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

It doesn't automatically make you have tax due. They should have withheld tax on the sick leave and PTO, just like on regular pay, so that would tend to take care of the tax. But again, the only way to know for sure whether you have tax due is to do your tax return.

If you are asking whether the sick pay and PTO are taxable, yes, they are. That's why the employer should have, and probably did, withhold tax on them.

kang_qian

Thanks so much for your detailed explanation !! 

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies