okachanbella

Hi, I am at the last step to sign and e-file my Taxes and my husband is still waiting for his 2017 tax return which he filed this year too, I am not sure if I can still just file my taxes for 2018 wit

wonder if I can File my taxes as single even if I am married and file without him? please help, thanks!

PhyllisG

You are only allowed to file Married Filing Jointly (MFJ) or Married Filing Separately (MFS) when you are considered legally married at the end of a tax year. 

It is advised to file MFJ because MFS normally will put you in a higher tax bracket, and you will need to include one-half of your spouses income.

You do not have to wait to file the 2018 tax return as MFJ.  The adjusted gross income verification, that I am assuming you are waiting for, is only for electronic tax returns. You can print and submit a paper return to the taxing agencies.

PhyllisG