Solved: Hi, I am 22 years old, a full time college student and made about $6800 this year in wages. I am not supported by my parent. Can I file taxes as an independent.

Hi, I am 22 years old, a full time college student and made about $6800 this year in wages. I am not supported by my parent. Can I file taxes as an independent.

Will be attending graduate school in August.

If you are not claimed as a dependent by your parents, you can certainly file your own tax return.

In 2016, you were a full-time college student and will receive a form 1098-T. You may qualify for education credits.

In TurboTax, make sure you enter your form 1098-T in the Education section under Deductions and credits. TurboTax will calculate the largest tax break for you.