Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Jeanne742
Returning Member

Hi does anyone know why my oldest daughter and youngest daughter were eligible for the child tax credit but not my middle daughter and why didnt turbotax help me with tha

Two turbotax workers didnt help me with getting all the money I was owed but took there money. I'm owed money for my one daughter but the company that's supposed to help me isnt what do I do. I have no I idea how to fix this
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

Hi does anyone know why my oldest daughter and youngest daughter were eligible for the child tax credit but not my middle daughter and why didnt turbotax help me with tha

Your TT Live rep should be able to help you.  But why did the IRS deny the CTC for her?

@Jeanne742  - let's check some things out...

1) first, look at the tax return itself....over to the RIGHT of your children's names there are two small boxes on each line.  Is the "CTC" box checked for ALL 3 children.  if not that is a clue.  if they are ALL checked, then you indeed received the CTC. 

2) for the middle child, check their birthdate  did you miskey the year of birth?to be elgiible for CTC, their birth year must be AFTER 2003

3) confirm that you checked they they are a US citizen (or resident alien).  did you choose the wrong option?

4) how are you sure that you didn't receive the CTC for the middle child?  Look at Line 28.  That should be $3000 for each child under the age of 18 but $3600 for each child under the age of 6. 

5) From that answer, SUBTRACT what you received for the advance - LOOK AT YOUR BANK ACCOUNT RECORDS for JUly - Dec, 2021.  do not do this from memory.  HOW MUCH DID YOU RECEIVE EACH MONTH? that is another clue

6) how much is listed on Line 28? 

7) did the IRS send you anything stating they were adjusting your refund? if so what is the EXACT amount of the refund.

if you can respond to me on what you found for each of the 6 questions, we can probably figure out what is occuring.

Jeanne742
Returning Member

Thanks for the reply I will check all that out where do I find all these information is it on turbotax or the IRS. Thanks

@Jeanne742  

Look at your TAX RETURN-----your Form 1040.   Form 1040 is  the form you filed when you filed a federal tax return.  You are being asked to look at specific lines.  The lines are numbered.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/prior-year-return/help/how-do-i-get-a-copy-of-a-return-i-filed-thi...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

For the first question above check your return here....

0 CTC box.PNG

How old are your 3 children?  How do you know you didn't get credit for the middle one?  Maybe the oldest is too old and you only got credit for the 2 youngest.

Jeanne742
Returning Member

They are 5 years old, 2 years old and 1 year old 

@Jeanne742  - we can hlep if you repsond to these questions: 

1) first, look at the tax return itself....over to the RIGHT of your children's names there are two small boxes on each line.  Is the "Child Tax Credit" box checked for ALL 3 children.  if not that is a clue.  if they are ALL checked, then you indeed received the CTC. 

2) for the middle child, check their birthdate  did you miskey the year of birth?to be elgiible for CTC, their birth year must be AFTER 2003

3) how are you sure that you didn't receive the CTC for the middle child?  Look at Line 28.  That should be $3600 for each child since they are all under the age of 6. So that is $10,800.   From that answer, SUBTRACT what you received for the advance - LOOK AT YOUR BANK ACCOUNT RECORDS for JUly - Dec, 2021.  do not do this from memory.  HOW MUCH DID YOU RECEIVE EACH MONTH? that is another clue

4) how much is listed on Line 28? 

5) did the IRS send you anything stating they were adjusting your refund? if so what is the EXACT amount of the adjustment? 

if you can respond to me on what you found for each question, we can probably figure out what is occuring.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies