turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

adam-12

HHw do i report sales taxers.

I have completed my tax return and printed it.  I plan to mail it.  However I failed to report my sales taxes.  I cannot find how to add the sales taxes to my return.   I would like to mention that I have used Turbo tax for several years.  This years tax preparation has changed a lot.  It is very difficult to make changes to the return as in past years. It is almost impossible to override entries also. I would  appreciate an answer to my sales tax question as soon as possible.  My e-mail is:  [PII Removed] Thank you, [PII Removed]
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MollsBBU

If you elect to deduct state and local general sales taxes, you can use either your actual expenses (see Enter All My Receipts below) or the optional sales tax tables (see EasyGuide below).

To visit this entry, please log in to TurboTax, click the orange Take me to my return button, then:

1. Click on Federal Taxes (Personal if using Home and Business)
  2. Click on Deductions and Credits
  3. Click on I'll choose what I work on (if shown)
  4. Scroll down to Estimates and Other Taxes Paid
  5. On Sales Taxes, click the start or update button
  6. Click the blue button to Continue with Sales Tax (if shown)
  7. You'll have two options for entering your sales tax:

EasyGuide - This lets the program guide you through interview to calculate an amount to be entered at line 5b. You'll need your combined total state and local sales tax rate in addition to any sales tax paid on major purchases. Please see How do you define "major purchase" or "major item" for the sales tax deduction? for more information.

Enter All My Receipts - If you have all of your receipts for sales tax paid during the year, you can deduct the total sales tax you paid. But if you are audited (this is not an audit trigger unless it is abnormally large compared to your income), you will be required to produce all of those receipts.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
MollsBBU

If you elect to deduct state and local general sales taxes, you can use either your actual expenses (see Enter All My Receipts below) or the optional sales tax tables (see EasyGuide below).

To visit this entry, please log in to TurboTax, click the orange Take me to my return button, then:

1. Click on Federal Taxes (Personal if using Home and Business)
  2. Click on Deductions and Credits
  3. Click on I'll choose what I work on (if shown)
  4. Scroll down to Estimates and Other Taxes Paid
  5. On Sales Taxes, click the start or update button
  6. Click the blue button to Continue with Sales Tax (if shown)
  7. You'll have two options for entering your sales tax:

EasyGuide - This lets the program guide you through interview to calculate an amount to be entered at line 5b. You'll need your combined total state and local sales tax rate in addition to any sales tax paid on major purchases. Please see How do you define "major purchase" or "major item" for the sales tax deduction? for more information.

Enter All My Receipts - If you have all of your receipts for sales tax paid during the year, you can deduct the total sales tax you paid. But if you are audited (this is not an audit trigger unless it is abnormally large compared to your income), you will be required to produce all of those receipts.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies