turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Hey guys, I’m 16 and I work for YouTube will I be able to file taxes? Because I never did before please help me

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
HelenC12
Expert Alumni

Hey guys, I’m 16 and I work for YouTube will I be able to file taxes? Because I never did before please help me

You'll definitely need to file a 2020 return with the IRS if you had $400 or more in self-employment net earnings (gross income minus expenses). The IRS treats this income as a business. 

• You'll also need to know if your parent(s) or anyone else is claiming you as a dependent. 

If you haven't incorporated, you can file a Schedule C, Profit or Loss From Business with your personal income tax return. TurboTax automatically generates a Schedule C when you enter your business income and expenses. 

When you're self-employed, if it's directly related to the work you do, you can deduct it as an expense.

• Work-related expenses reduce your taxes by lowering the amount of self-employment income you get taxed on. For example, if you made $50,000 in self-employment income and had $5,000 out-of-pocket expenses, you'd only get taxed on $45,000.
  • For state-specific questions regarding your work, click here to find your state’s Department of Revenue.
  • For additional information, click here.

You may use the following TurboTax products to report your business:

Note: The higher the version, the more step-by-step guidance you'll receive. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Will I also be able to file my taxes for the first time using TurboTax ? @HelenC12 

LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

Yes, you can file your taxes for the first time using TurboTax. You will need TurboTax Self-Employed if you are filing a Schedule C. Please go to TurboTax Self-Employed to create an account.  For tax purposes, self-employment income includes any part-time businesses or "side work" performed in which you are in business for yourself, rather than another person. You are also considered self-employed if you engage in business-like activities where you intend to make a profit. 

Once you create a TurboTax account, you can follow the on-screen instructions to complete your return. 

To set up your YouTube business, please follow the instructions below :

1. Open or continue your return.
  2. Search for schedule c and click the Jump to link in the search results.
  3. Answer Yes to Did you have any self-employment income or expenses.
  4. Follow the onscreen instructions.

NOTE: If you need to report a 1099-NEC, 1099-MISC, or 1099-K, then you can do so while entering your self-employment income on the Schedule C screens. 

If you have any additional questions, comment below and we can assist you further.  

@jakerram04

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies