turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Dimitrios

I got unemployment last week of October 2016 and made $23,000 and still on unemployment do I report unemployment or wait next season?

Sorry for the stupid question this is my first time ever getting unemployment.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I got unemployment last week of October 2016 and made $23,000 and still on unemployment do I report unemployment or wait next season?

Hi there!

You should have received a 1099G for your unemployment compensation for Oct-Dec. You need to report that income on your 2016 return. Navigate to the Wages & Income tab and then down to the Unemployment section. You can enter your unemployment there.

View solution in original post

17 Replies
Dimitrios

1099G? I chose to have my unemployment taxed so I didn't have to pay later on. I get $314 a week on unemployment. So I still report that??????????????????????????

Hey Dimitrios- Did you receive the 1099G? What state are you in? And if you chose to pay taxes on it awesome! You still need to report the income and then you will report the taxes you already paid on it to to reconcile.
Dimitrios

I looked and only found a 1095-C for health insurance. If I file for an extension will their be a fee? I Remember CT Unemployment telling us to download some sort of form for tax time. I will try Ct.gov and go from there.Any more tips would mean a lot I'm stressed out over this butn thank you so much for the fast response! 🙂

You can file an extension for no charge- <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://turbotax.intuit.com/irs-tax-extensions/">https://turbotax.intuit.com/irs-tax-extensions/</a>...
Do you think you will owe taxes? It's not an extension to pay, just to file.
And it looks like CT doesn't mail the 1099G- you have to download it online <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="http://www.ct.gov/drs/cwp/view.asp?a=1433&q=493900">http://www.ct.gov/drs/cwp/view.asp?a=1433&q=4939...>
Dimitrios

I don't think I owe taxes, every year I get a few hundred, CT I had to pay like $70

OK- you might want to try to grab the 1099G off of the CT website so you can estimate if you think you will owe. If you do owe you should pay by today with your extension to avoid any late payment penalties and interest accrued.
Dimitrios

Last question sorry. Why would I owe money for a 1099G which is an unemployment form from the sounds of it my unemployment was around $400 a week but I chose to have it taxed out so I get around $314 would I still owe more? I might just do my taxes now and if there is a problem filling out the unemployment form I will file an extension and go from their.

Hey Dimitrios- Don't be sorry! We are here to help you!
You chose to withhold taxes from your unemployment- probably 10%? That is typical for states. The state does not know what other income you may have- so 10% might not have been what your real tax rate is. It might be more or less- that is why you have to reconcile on your tax return- but don't worry you will get the credit for the taxes you paid in.
Dimitrios

I went to that site there is no download option. I will just file for the months I did work and go from there. Worse comes to worse I will visit unemployment tomorrow.

If you click on the 'what's my 1099G amount' box it should ask for your SSN.
Dimitrios

also yes I chose Unemployment to take out 10%.
Dimitrios

NOPE I put my SS at CT website to see my 1099G and say's I wasn't found <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://drsindtax.ct.gov/AUT/welcomeindividual.aspx">https://drsindtax.ct.gov/AUT/welcomeindividual....>

😕 I would either file an extension or file without it and then go back and amend your return when you receive it. It will be easier to file the extension and wait to file with the form.
Dimitrios

I'm done I owe CT $162 and irs owes me $428. I will visit CT unemployment tomorrow asking why I'm not showing up in their 10099G and that would suck if they owed me money lol. Thanks for your help and being patient.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies