Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Just downloaded and installed 2017 (windows) desktop edition. how do I import 2016 filing?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Just downloaded and installed 2017 (windows) desktop edition. how do I import 2016 filing?

Here's how to transfer the *.tax2016 data file you have on your computer into a new 2017 return.

• If you haven't restarted your computer since installing, then go ahead and restart (reboot) your computer.
  • Launch TurboTax and run the program updater to get the latest program updates (you may or may not have already done that.)
  • At the TurboTax main screen is there a blue button that says "Begin" or "Start a New Tax Return?"   If so, click one of those to start.  OR you can click in the top left corner of the TurboTax screen in the menubar on the FILE menu and in the dropdown choose "New Tax Return."  Either method will start a new return.
  • When you start a new return, TurboTax will churn a bit while it searches your computer for the *.tax2016 data file.   If it finds it, you'll see a blue button "Transfer Return."
  • If it doesn't find it, you can click on "Browse" to bring up a file directory window where you can point TurboTax to the location of the *.tax2016 data file.
  • The default location for TurboTax data files in Windows 7 is the My Documents\TurboTax folder, but you may have it in another location.

View solution in original post

7 Replies

How was the 2016 return prepared--in Online  TurboTax or 2016 desktop version (CD/download)?
Do you have the *.tax2016 data file?

If you don't have the 2016 data file, if it was prepared in Online TurboTax, do you see evidence of the 2016 return in your Online account when you look in the section "Your Tax Returns & Documents" and choose tax year 2016?  If so, what happens when you try to download the 2016 tax data file?   Does it ask you to pay?

2016 desktop version (download).  .tax2016 is stored local on my PC

no evidence of the 2016 return in my Online account

It won't be in a online account if it was prepared locally on your computer.   I only mentioned that since at the time I didn't know what version you had used.  I'll tell you in an answer below how to transfer the 2016 data file into your 2017 return.

Thank you epo39b!

You're welcome.  Good luck.

Here's how to transfer the *.tax2016 data file you have on your computer into a new 2017 return.

• If you haven't restarted your computer since installing, then go ahead and restart (reboot) your computer.
  • Launch TurboTax and run the program updater to get the latest program updates (you may or may not have already done that.)
  • At the TurboTax main screen is there a blue button that says "Begin" or "Start a New Tax Return?"   If so, click one of those to start.  OR you can click in the top left corner of the TurboTax screen in the menubar on the FILE menu and in the dropdown choose "New Tax Return."  Either method will start a new return.
  • When you start a new return, TurboTax will churn a bit while it searches your computer for the *.tax2016 data file.   If it finds it, you'll see a blue button "Transfer Return."
  • If it doesn't find it, you can click on "Browse" to bring up a file directory window where you can point TurboTax to the location of the *.tax2016 data file.
  • The default location for TurboTax data files in Windows 7 is the My Documents\TurboTax folder, but you may have it in another location.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies