turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Hello, Im a non resident alien so I cannot get education credits. How can I disable it from my TurboTax Premier process?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
pk
Level 15
Level 15

Hello, Im a non resident alien so I cannot get education credits. How can I disable it from my TurboTax Premier process?

As a non-resident alien you need to file form 1040-NR ( NOT supported by TurboTax) -- please visit SprinTax ( TurboTax partner) or tax professional.

When did you come into USA  and with what visa? Is this an extension?  Which country ?

I came 2 years ago with F-1 visa, but I worked as student working that is allowed with my visa, so I have some Federal taxes withhold.

Country is Brazil
pk
Level 15
Level 15

Since you are F-1, and have not gone past the five year exemption, you are still a Non-Resident Alien. And sin ce there is no Tax Treaty between US and Brazil ( that is listed by US Treasury ), your income for personal service is taxable income for US tax purposes.  However, TurboTax does not support the form  ( 1040-NR) required by Dual status or Non-Resident Aliens.  Please visit SprinTax ( TurboTax partner ) or a tax professional or your school's  foreign students office for help.  Good luck
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies