turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mslatisa1

Tax Year Prior to 2020: Hello I need to change to the free edition please

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

If you have not paid for the online edition you are using, have not filed your tax return or registered the Free edition, then you can clear your return and start over with a lower priced edition. Click on Tax Tools on the left side of the program screen while working on the 2018 online tax return. Click on Clear & Start Over.

JulieC14
Expert Alumni

As long as you haven't submitted payment, deducted the TurboTax fee from your refund, or registered, you can erase your return and start from scratch in TurboTax Online.  See the steps below:

1. If you haven't already done so, sign in to your TurboTax account and select the Take me to my return button.
  2. On the welcome back screen, in the left-side menu, select Tax Tools, and then Clear & Start Over (select the menu icon in the upper-left corner if you don't see this menu).
  3. Answer Yes in the pop-up to confirm.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

There are several TurboTax editions when using the online web based programs - Free, Plus, Deluxe, Premier and Self-Employed.  Only the Free edition is free for both federal and state tax returns.  However, the Free edition is only good for very simple tax returns.  If the user enters tax data that is not supported by the Free online editions then one of the paid editions must be used.

TurboTax also is part of the Free File Alliance and provides the Freedom Edition for eligible taxpayers.  The Freedom Edition usually becomes available in mid-January of the tax year.

These were the requirements for the tax year 2018 Freedom Edition -

IRS Free File Program - https://apps.irs.gov/app/freeFile/

If you are eligible you can use the TurboTax Free File Program which is free to file both a federal and state tax return. The Free File Program edition is a full featured personal tax program and on a separate website from the TurboTax online editions.

To qualify for free 2018 federal and state tax returns with the Free File Program, you'll need to meet at least one of these requirements:

• A maximum 2018 adjusted gross income (AGI) of $34,000; or
  • You qualify for the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC); or
  • You served as active duty military (including Reservists and National Guard) with a maximum 2018 AGI of $66,000 (you'll also need a military-issued W-2).

See this TurboTax support FAQ on the Free File Program - https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1900583-what-is-the-turbotax-free-file-program

See this TurboTax support FAQ for the difference between the Free File Progam and the Free edition - https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2572617-what-s-the-difference-between-free-file-program-and-free-e...

And see this TurboTax support FAQ on how to switch to the TurboTax Free File Program - https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2026912-how-do-i-switch-to-turbotax-free-file-program

Now what do you need to do ?  Wait until January for the FREEDOM version  ?    OR  clear this return and start over in the FREE version ?  

If you would like to erase the data you have entered, you can do that by following these directions:

1.     While in your TurboTax Online program (after clicking Continue your return)
Select tools.

2.     Then click on Clear & start over.

3.     On the Are you sure you want to clear your return? pop up screen, if you are sure about clearing all your entries and starting over, click Yes.

4.     Then a new screen confirms you have cleared your entries, click Continue.

All of your entries will now be erased.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies