Hello, I live in CA and I was wondering where I have to mail my taxes to? Do I have to mail my federal and state taxes to different places or is it the same place?

You mail your federal return to the IRS and your California state tax return to the California Franchise Tax Board.

The mailing address to send your return to the IRS from California will depend on whether you are enclosing a payment or not.

If you are enclosing a payment, the IRS mailing address is:

Internal Revenue Service
P.O. Box 7704
San Francisco, CA
94120-7704 

If you are not enclosing a payment, the IRS mailing address is:

Department of the Treasury
Internal Revenue Service
Fresno, CA 93888-0002 

The address to mail your California Form 540, Resident Income Tax Return, also depends on whether you are enclosing a payment or not.

If you are enclosing a payment, mail your California return to:

FRANCHISE TAX BOARD PO BOX 942867 SACRAMENTO CA 94267-0001

If you are not enclosing a payment, mail your California return to:

FRANCHISE TAX BOARD PO BOX 942840 SACRAMENTO CA 94240-0001