evgeny

Hello. I filed my taxes and I got a notification that I need to mail the 8949 form.Why should I do it. This form on my tax return. Why should I mail it in additional?

DDollar

It sounds like you entered category totals for investment sales rather than entering each transaction.  If so, IRS regulations require you to mail in a detail (Form 8949) of your transactions and copy of your broker statement summary.  Or you can mail your entire Form 1099-B. 

If you e-fled your return, within three days after the IRS has accepted your return, mail the Form 8949 generated by TurboTax, a copy of the summary statements provided by your broker, and the Form 8453 generated by TurboTax, to the following address:

Internal Revenue Service
Attn: Shipping and Receiving, 0254
Receipt and Control Branch
Austin, TX 73344-0254

If you are mailing your return, Include the Schedule D prepared by TurboTax and a copy of your transaction summary from your broker or financial institution. Include both Schedule D and Form 8949 with your mailed return, along with any other paperwork specified in the Filing Instructions printout.

DDollar

Internal Revenue Service
Attn: Shipping and Receiving, 0254
Receipt and Control Branch
Austin, TX 73344-0254