turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Hello I do not know which option to choose for clergy self-employment tax.

My company pays for my housing and in my w2 they put  but I pay utilities. In the COE they put an estimated housing cost and on w2 they put a number in box 14. On my W2 I have federal income tax withheld. Would I have to pay SE tax on wages and housing or only on one and not the other?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DDollar
Expert Alumni

Your housing allowance is excludable from gross income for income tax purposes but not for self-employment tax purposes.

This is how you should enter this information in TurboTax.

In TurboTax, after entering your form W-2, continue the questionnaire and indicate that your income is clergy income.

When you arrive at the page Tell us about your clergy housing enter your housing allowance of $12,000. In the Qualifying expenses box, enter the lower of 1) your qualified housing expenses, 2) the fair rental value of your housing expenses plus utilities and 3) your housing allowance.

Then on the Clergy self-employment Tax page indicate that you Pay self-employment tax on wages and housing allowance, unless you have filed for exemption using form 4361.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DDollar
Expert Alumni

Your housing allowance is excludable from gross income for income tax purposes but not for self-employment tax purposes.

This is how you should enter this information in TurboTax.

In TurboTax, after entering your form W-2, continue the questionnaire and indicate that your income is clergy income.

When you arrive at the page Tell us about your clergy housing enter your housing allowance of $12,000. In the Qualifying expenses box, enter the lower of 1) your qualified housing expenses, 2) the fair rental value of your housing expenses plus utilities and 3) your housing allowance.

Then on the Clergy self-employment Tax page indicate that you Pay self-employment tax on wages and housing allowance, unless you have filed for exemption using form 4361.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies