turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

vero554

Hello, I am looking for advice on how to file. I qualify for foreign earned income exclusion and my wife does not. Should we file separately or better to file together?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
LeonardS
Expert Alumni

Hello, I am looking for advice on how to file. I qualify for foreign earned income exclusion and my wife does not. Should we file separately or better to file together?

Generally, it is better for a couple to file a joint tax return.  The fact that you qualify for the foreign earned income exclusion has no bearing on the filing status you choose.  If you file separately you lose the opportunity to claim some tax credits/deductions that would be available to you if you filed a joint return.

This link to the Turbotax help page Should You and Your Spouse File Taxes Jointly or Separately? provides additional information that you may find useful.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
LeonardS
Expert Alumni

Generally, it is better for a couple to file a joint tax return.  The fact that you qualify for the foreign earned income exclusion has no bearing on the filing status you choose.  If you file separately you lose the opportunity to claim some tax credits/deductions that would be available to you if you filed a joint return.

This link to the Turbotax help page Should You and Your Spouse File Taxes Jointly or Separately? provides additional information that you may find useful.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies