Solved: Health insurance penalty

gerardgayle101

Health insurance penalty

I started a new job in March of 2016 and the insurance application process for my job began in August of 2016. When I applied for it, I started receiving the insurance coverage in October of 2016. Prior to October, I didn't have insurance because I couldn't apply through my work for it [ They allow for us to apply annually in August only]. For January and February of 2016, I was not working and couldn't afford insurance.

Am I exempt from the penalty of not having health insurance for the time period between January 2016 and September 2016 under these circumstances?

MiriamF

Health insurance penalty

The best way for you to determine whether you qualify for an exemption is to go to Healthcare.gov to see if you qualify.

This is not an easy question to answer, as it depends upon the state in which you lived, your total income for the year, and other factors. If you go through the questionnaire above, you will get feedback based upon all the circumstances that affect the answer.

MiriamF

Health insurance penalty