turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Health insurance penalty

I started a new job in March of 2016 and the insurance application process for my job began in August of 2016. When I applied for it, I started receiving the insurance coverage in October of 2016. Prior to October, I didn't have insurance because I couldn't apply through my work for it [ They allow for us to apply annually in August only]. For January and February of 2016, I was not working and couldn't afford insurance.

Am I exempt from the penalty of not having health insurance for the time period between January 2016 and September 2016 under these circumstances?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MiriamF
Intuit Alumni

Health insurance penalty

The best way for you to determine whether you qualify for an exemption is to go to Healthcare.gov to see if you qualify.

This is not an easy question to answer, as it depends upon the state in which you lived, your total income for the year, and other factors. If you go through the questionnaire above, you will get feedback based upon all the circumstances that affect the answer.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
MiriamF
Intuit Alumni

Health insurance penalty

The best way for you to determine whether you qualify for an exemption is to go to Healthcare.gov to see if you qualify.

This is not an easy question to answer, as it depends upon the state in which you lived, your total income for the year, and other factors. If you go through the questionnaire above, you will get feedback based upon all the circumstances that affect the answer.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies