Solved: Head of household and moved

Head of household and moved

I paid for all expenses all year until I moved in the middle of September with my boyfriend.  Can I claim head of household for the 9 months i was on my own. He was on his own before then too. But now everything is split 50/50.

Alumni
Alumni

Head of household and moved

You cannot claim HOH unless you have a qualifying relative (a related dependent) that you provide over 1/2 of the costs of maintaining the household, and that lived with you at least 1/2 of the year.

Head of household and moved

Any dependents?

Head of household and moved

Yes i have a son who turned six may 2016 he live with me all year before i moved and is still living with me now too
Alumni
Alumni

Head of household and moved

Then you would qualify for HOH.

Head of household and moved

What about my boyfriend has 2 kids and was on his own and suported them by himself before i moved in. But now we have the same address we were just concerned
Alumni
Alumni

Head of household and moved

If you paid 100% for 9 months plus 50% for 3 months, that sure sounds like more than 50% for the entire year.  The same address does not prevent HOH.

Head of household and moved

Dd BF's kids live with him?

Head of household and moved

Yes and he has full custody of them
Alumni
Alumni

Head of household and moved

Head of household and moved

I have a 6 year old son who live with me the whole year. I provided all support until sept. ?