Anonymous
Not applicable

Had two insurances simultaneously, from work and parents' marketplace plan. Is 1095-A required?

I was under my parents' marketplace health insurance for the whole year. However, I started working mid-year and my company provided me with insurance. We forgot to cancel my coverage under my parents' plan so I had two insurances at the same time. I filed my taxes but forgot to specify I was under their insurance so I got a notice that I'm required to fill out form 8962. Do I use my parents' 1095-A or should I have my own. Will I be liable to repay ATPC? How is family size calculated on the 8962 if I am filing separately from parents?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Yes, you use your parents 1095A. You will show your self as a covered individual on their policy and you share the plan. You must show the % of the plan that you are responsible for. If there are 3 people on the plan you may be responsible for 25%. This is determined between you and your parents. If it is 0% you can claim that as well. This may make you responsible for paying back some of the tax credit. Your parents need to indicate on their return that this is a shared 1095A with a person who is not part of the 'tax family'. You are not part of the their 'tax family'. The tax family is only the people who are included in the tax return. You might want to read some of the help options in the software as you do this. You must complete the tax return with this info and then print the 8962. If it changes your refund amt or tax due amount you will have to amend it.