briansalvietti

Had an HSA in '17 and am wondering if it will still be absolute $0, or if there will be a charge to file my taxes through Turbo Tax?

BMcCalpin

If you (or your employer) contributed to or took distributions from (ie, paid for medical expenses) your HSA in 2017, the IRS requires you to add form 8889 to your return to report on the HSA. The IRS also requires that form 8889 be attached to the 1040, the most complex of the returns.

For this reason, TurboTax requires Deluxe or higher version to complete your return. This is not covered under the free version.

BMcCalpin

briansalvietti

Unfortunately I won't be using TurboTax for this tax season. Since I had an HSA last year I won't qualify for the free service so I have to go to the competitor Jackson Hewitt since they're offering $100 for new accounts. Either that or I'll be doing them myself.
Thanks for answering my question directly and in a timely manner.
jhendrix501

Competitors are allowing those with an HSA to file free.