Solved: Greetings. My 'other dependent tax credit' amount is not being added to my refund. Why is this?

claire2911

Greetings. My 'other dependent tax credit' amount is not being added to my refund. Why is this?

JulieCo

The Other Dependent Credit is not a "refundable" credit, meaning that the credit can’t be used to increase your tax refund or to create a tax refund when you wouldn’t have already had one.  Therefore, if your tax due was less than $500, the credit can only reduce your tax due to $0.  Here is an example: 

The credit savings cannot exceed the amount of tax you owe. For example, if the only credit you’re eligible for is a $500 Child and Dependent Care Expenses credit, and the tax you owe is only $200—the $300 excess is nonrefundable. This means that the credit will eliminate the entire $200 of tax, but you don’t receive a tax refund for the remaining $300.

From:   TurboTax Article:  What is the Difference Between a Refundable and Non-Refundable Credit?

JulieCo