turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

12rr2858

Got a ton of jackpots and put it in the slots again, do I have to list all off them, I didn't win?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
IreneS
Intuit Alumni

Got a ton of jackpots and put it in the slots again, do I have to list all off them, I didn't win?

No, you don't have to list the individual transactions; however, you do have to report all your gambling income.

Gambling losses are only allowed up to the amount of your gambling winnings. For example, if you had $9,000 of gambling losses and had $2,000 of gambling winnings, you can only deduct $2,000 of your losses (the amount of your winnings).  If you had no winnings, you will not be able to deduct your losses.

Normally gambling winnings are reported on form W-2G.  However you can enter your gambling or prize winnings in TurboTax (even if you didn't receive a W-2G) by following these steps:

1. Click on Federal > Wages & Income   
  2. In the Less Common Income section , click on the Start/Update box next to gambling winnings.  
  3. On the Gambling Winnings screen, click the Yes box.
  4. On the screen, Tell Us About Your Winnings, click the Skip W2-G box if Form W2g is not issued.  
  5. On the next screen, Any Other Gambling Winnings, click the Yes box.  
  6. You will be able to enter your winnings in the Other Gambling Winnings screen. 
  7. Since gambling losses can be deducted as an itemized deduction (up to the total of reported gambling and prize winnings) enter your losses (if any) on the next screen, Gambling Losses.  

[Edited | 3/18/2020 |  1:10 pm PDT]

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
IreneS
Intuit Alumni

The original answer to your question has been edited and new information added.  Please check out the revised answer.
IreneS
Intuit Alumni

No, you don't have to list the individual transactions; however, you do have to report all your gambling income.

Gambling losses are only allowed up to the amount of your gambling winnings. For example, if you had $9,000 of gambling losses and had $2,000 of gambling winnings, you can only deduct $2,000 of your losses (the amount of your winnings).  If you had no winnings, you will not be able to deduct your losses.

Normally gambling winnings are reported on form W-2G.  However you can enter your gambling or prize winnings in TurboTax (even if you didn't receive a W-2G) by following these steps:

1. Click on Federal > Wages & Income   
  2. In the Less Common Income section , click on the Start/Update box next to gambling winnings.  
  3. On the Gambling Winnings screen, click the Yes box.
  4. On the screen, Tell Us About Your Winnings, click the Skip W2-G box if Form W2g is not issued.  
  5. On the next screen, Any Other Gambling Winnings, click the Yes box.  
  6. You will be able to enter your winnings in the Other Gambling Winnings screen. 
  7. Since gambling losses can be deducted as an itemized deduction (up to the total of reported gambling and prize winnings) enter your losses (if any) on the next screen, Gambling Losses.  

[Edited | 3/18/2020 |  1:10 pm PDT]

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies