Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Hart, Shafner & Marx suit in great condition. $500 suit is more than $41 that shows in your list. Any recommendations on what I should use for value.

Value to se for $500 Hart, Shafner, Marx suit donated in great condition.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
bwa
Alumni
Alumni

Hart, Shafner & Marx suit in great condition. $500 suit is more than $41 that shows in your list. Any recommendations on what I should use for value.

You would need to establish a value yourself, as it depends on location, condition, etc. that no one here could advise you about.

(One problem with used designer or high qualify clothing is that it rarely sells at a premium over other clothes.  Customers who go to a Goodwill or similar establishments aren't going there to get expensive, second hand clothing, they're going for something inexpensive.)

View solution in original post

15 Replies

If I wanted to buy your suit, how much would you expect me to pay?
But don't count on my agreeing to your number.
jwoith

drbpconn

Another option is to sell it at a consignment shop/garage sale and donate the cash you earn.

Most suits (even name brand as that really doesn't add much if any value-they just sell faster) at my local thrift shop sell for about $40 to $50.  Good suit coats and blazers sell for under $15-$30.

Search the "sold" listings on eBay for used suits of that brand, and find one that matches yours most closely.  Enter it using the "Add it" option, and at the end of your description, write"eBay value."
julied3

violinini1 has the best method - cite a valuation method like ebay comparison and utilize that - it's how I do my higher value items (Coach or Prada bags, etc.).  We have an upscale Goodwill that contains these top brands that I can also cite for pricing comparisons but not everywhere has the specialty Goodwill.

My local charity (the Humane Society Thrift Shop) sells their higher value donations and good jewelry on eBay, so I think you are justified in using a eBay reference.
bwa
Alumni
Alumni

You would need to establish a value yourself, as it depends on location, condition, etc. that no one here could advise you about.

(One problem with used designer or high qualify clothing is that it rarely sells at a premium over other clothes.  Customers who go to a Goodwill or similar establishments aren't going there to get expensive, second hand clothing, they're going for something inexpensive.)

ebay can be a good source for determining prices of used items.

One option is to find a COMPLETED auction on eBay for like item (if not the same then very similar including size) and use that to determine value.  Make sure and save a copy electronic or print out of the completed auction in order to be able to defend your valuation.

Right, but prices in charity thrift shops are often less than that.
rjmig88

It doesn't mean the charity has to sell said item to the store itself. Donating an high end item they may take the time to get more money out of it which then helps the charity's other goals too. To take an extreme example if I donate a Ferrari they sure aren't going to sell it at the thrift store.
dpeter325

Goodwill sells higher end items through a written auction in the store.

Everyone needs nice clothes especially trying to get a job.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies