Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jacknbox5

I have a balance that is due after filing my taxes. My return paid most of it off but i still owe $363 dollars. The TurboTax Intuit site I cannot figure out how to pay?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I have a balance that is due after filing my taxes. My return paid most of it off but i still owe $363 dollars. The TurboTax Intuit site I cannot figure out how to pay?

It is not possible to pay your state tax due from your federal refund, nor is it possible to pay a federal tax due from a state refund.  The federal and state treasuries are completely separate from each other.  You may have seen a summary of your federal and state amounts that confused you into thinking one was “paying” the other.  It is not.  If you have federal tax due you can pay by mailing your payment, having the payment taken out of a designated bank account, or you can pay directly on the IRS website.  You must pay your state tax due using the state’s preferred method of receiving payment.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

9 Replies

Do you owe the IRS or your state?  Please explain "my return paid most of it"
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
jacknbox5

I owe the state.

It is not possible to pay your state tax due from your federal refund, nor is it possible to pay a federal tax due from a state refund.  The federal and state treasuries are completely separate from each other.  You may have seen a summary of your federal and state amounts that confused you into thinking one was “paying” the other.  It is not.  If you have federal tax due you can pay by mailing your payment, having the payment taken out of a designated bank account, or you can pay directly on the IRS website.  You must pay your state tax due using the state’s preferred method of receiving payment.

jacknbox5

How do you figure out how to pay your state? (Indiana is mine)

Go to the IN state tax site and look.
kathyuhl

I owe money to both the state and feds, I would like to pay both balances now so I can e mail in my taxes with turbo tax, is there a way to mail in my balances and then add the amounts to my turbo tax files before submitting my taxes.  I took out extra from my IRA's to pay bills during covid, but forgot about the extra taxes.  Help.

kathyuhl

Both

kathyuhl

I paid my original fed and state vouchers payments with my original vouchers, but because I took out more than my required amounts from my IRAs I am now under paid for my year end taxes and want to pay them both (state and federal balances) now so I can submit my taxes by e submissions.  Can I get more vouchers and can I enter a fifth payment thro turbo taxes. Or some thing else?/

FangxiaL
Expert Alumni

It sounds like you made estimated payments for tax year 2021. Make sure to enter the payments you made with the original voucher into TurboTax so that you can get credit for the payments made, otherwise, your tax liability would be overstated. 

If you have entered the estimated payments and you still did not pay enough resulting in a balance due on your return, you can schedule your payment with your tax return when you are ready to e-file. I don't see the purpose of making another payment right before you file unless you are considering filing an extension.

@kathyuhl

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies