turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

yeyplata

Hello I'm thinking of buying TurboTax premier 2017. COuld you provide me with the cost to file california returns. And is it free to print and file as opposed to efile?

Hello I'm thinking of buying TurboTax premier 2017. COuld you provide me with the cost to file california returns. And is it free to print and file as opposed to efile?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

For the Desktop versions Deluxe and above, it's a free download of one state preparation PROGRAM, not returns filed. You can prepare unlimited federal and unlimited state returns. Some people need to file in more than one state so they have to buy another state program at 39.99. You can print and mail the state for free or each state return (including the first one) is 19.99 until Mid March, then goes to 24.99.

I made you two screen shots

View solution in original post

7 Replies

For the Desktop versions Deluxe and above, it's a free download of one state preparation PROGRAM, not returns filed. You can prepare unlimited federal and unlimited state returns. Some people need to file in more than one state so they have to buy another state program at 39.99. You can print and mail the state for free or each state return (including the first one) is 19.99 until Mid March, then goes to 24.99.

I made you two screen shots

Carl
Level 15

The cost of state modules varies with time. I think presently to purchase a state module is $29. Generally, if you e-file state that's another $29. But with the desktop version (and ONLY with the desktop version) printing/mailing a state return does not cost extra.

• Online Vs Desktop

Online version: With the online version of TurboTax (any flavor) you can only create one tax return per online account. But you can create up to 5 accounts per e-mail address. With the online version you will $PAY$ for each tederal tax return that you "print and file" or e-file. You will also pay a purchase price for each state tax return program, and then you will pay again to file that state return, regardless of weather you elect to "print and file" or e-file the state return. 

Desktop version: With desktop you purchase the FEDERAL program one time and install the program on your computer. Then you can create as many federal tax returns as desired. But per IRS limits, you can only e-file a maximum of 5 federal returns. After the 5th federal return, you can print, sign and mail any additional federal returns. You DO NOT pay to e-file federal returns, or to print and file federal returns.

For state taxes, you have to purchase each state program separately and install the program as an add-on to the federal program. Then you will pay again to e-file the state return. You can avoid the cost of e-filing a state return if you instead elect to print and file the state return. With the desktop version only, there is no additional charge to print and file the state return via mail. There is only an additional charge if you elect to e-file the state return.

yeyplata

Is it $29 per state even after you purchase the TurboTax Premier 2017? (says it includes states on the product description)
Carl
Level 15

There are some CD products that do include in the purchase price, one state module. But it does not include the e-filing fee of the state module. So check the box when you buy. Not all include the "one free state".
Note that for a NY state return, their is no e-filing fee since that state requires returns to be e-filed.

Where are you folks getting $29?
Carl
Level 15

Why not just provide the link to what you know? You know as well as I do, the product pricing changes throughout the tax filing season.

Go here and click on 1 State Download under Premier.

https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/compare/desktop/

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies