turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

marcenew

Why is my gambling income I entered as 7438 and my gambling income I entered as 7438 showing as income on line 21 of 1040 tax return if the loss equaled the income?

The 1040 return should be 0 on line 21 since the gambling income was not more than the gambling loss I entered.  Why does it say the gambling win amount on that line and therefore is taxable?  I use Turbo Tax Premier.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Why is my gambling income I entered as 7438 and my gambling income I entered as 7438 showing as income on line 21 of 1040 tax return if the loss equaled the income?

Gambling winnings are reported as Miscellaneous income on Form 1040 Line 21.  Gambling losses are entered on Form 1040 Schedule A as an itemized Miscellaneous deduction.  The total itemized deductions on Schedule A have to greater than the Standard Deduction for your filing status to have any tax benefit.

The losses are not a one-to-one reduction in winnings.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Gambling winnings are reported as Miscellaneous income on Form 1040 Line 21.  Gambling losses are entered on Form 1040 Schedule A as an itemized Miscellaneous deduction.  The total itemized deductions on Schedule A have to greater than the Standard Deduction for your filing status to have any tax benefit.

The losses are not a one-to-one reduction in winnings.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies