Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Ask the Experts about the new tax laws! >> Event happening TODAY!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Returning Member

Foreign income tax paid

I have a rental property in Canada. I have to file an income tax return for electing under section 216 (T1 2021). I paid approximately $ 1000 to the Canadian Government as taxable income on the rental.

On my US return, I also am taxed on the same income. Somewhere I need to capture the Canadian income tax paid. Where do I need to enter this so I am not double taxed?

2 Replies
Regina 1
New Member

Foreign income tax paid

On your 1040 you can take a foreign tax credit to reduce tax liability it may only be a % of what you paid in Canada the software will calculate the credit for you

Returning Member

Foreign income tax paid

Thanks Regina

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings