turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

foreign burial benefit insurance

My wife´s mother died in 2019 in Germany. She was not an US citizen and no US resident. She had a burial benefit insurance over about $6000, the beneficiary is my wife. We did not receive the money yet, as the German IRS still needs to determine, if we have to pay inheritance tax in Germany (we will not but it is how it is). So they stopped the payout from the insurance until they reach a conclusion.

As far as I know, this it not taxable income (the actual burial costs were even higher anyways).

But I have the following questions:

1. does this insurance need to be reported as an account in FBAR?

2. when do we report it on form 3520, in 2019 when e received it "on paper" or in 2020 when we receive it in our bank account?

Thank you

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KarenJ2
Expert Alumni

You must file an FBAR if you are a US person with a financial interest or signature authority over at least one financial account located outside the US and the combined total of all your foreign accounts exceeds $10,000 on any one day during the year

If you are required to file Form 3520, you will need to file it in the year you receive the money.

One of the requirements of filing Form 3520 is if you are a US person and you receive over $100,000 from a nonresident then you need to report that on Form 3520.

You will need to review the Who Must File on page 1 of the instructions for Form 3520 as some of the reporting requirements  involve foreign trusts and I am not sure if that applies to you.

Instructions for Form 3520

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
KarenJ2
Expert Alumni

You must file an FBAR if you are a US person with a financial interest or signature authority over at least one financial account located outside the US and the combined total of all your foreign accounts exceeds $10,000 on any one day during the year

If you are required to file Form 3520, you will need to file it in the year you receive the money.

One of the requirements of filing Form 3520 is if you are a US person and you receive over $100,000 from a nonresident then you need to report that on Form 3520.

You will need to review the Who Must File on page 1 of the instructions for Form 3520 as some of the reporting requirements  involve foreign trusts and I am not sure if that applies to you.

Instructions for Form 3520

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies