Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

For the new mixed use house the depreciation questions were not asked

I am used to the following procedure in TurboTax. First, you go through rental houses and one of the houses can be both rental and primary.  You put the rental usage, give data for mortgage and property taxes and this is reflected in schedule   E

This year it is different.  I have a new house with mixed usage.  I started from the rental explained that this house is of mixed usage and that I bought this house in 2018.  The program did not ask me anything about the price of this house, land cost, closing data and so forth. These questions allow to calculate depreciation And then when I come to the primary house deduction again these data were not asked. 

Another thing, when I had refinancing for another rental house the program promised me to ask refinancing data later.  But it was not asked .

For a new pure rental house these questions were asked, so depreciation was calculated

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Somehow I got workaround for this TurboTax problem.  First, I set this property as pure rental, this brings the mortgage origination form.  Went through all questions regarding this rental property.  Then, on schedule E Worksheet changed percentage of rental use to the proper number.  This brings the owner's part of deductions to schedule A - itemized deductions.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Use this website to contact TurboTax support during business hours - https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/
Support can also be reached by messaging them on these pages https://www.facebook.com/turbotax/ and https://twitter.com/TeamTurboTax

Thank you, Need to wait until November 12

Somehow I got workaround for this TurboTax problem.  First, I set this property as pure rental, this brings the mortgage origination form.  Went through all questions regarding this rental property.  Then, on schedule E Worksheet changed percentage of rental use to the proper number.  This brings the owner's part of deductions to schedule A - itemized deductions.

Carl
Level 15

I can not stress the need for *ABSOLUTE* *PERFECTION* in the first year dealing with this. Even the tiniest of mistakes will get exponentially bigger over time. Then when you catch the error in later years (if the IRS doesn't catch it first) the cost of fixing it will be $expensive$. So perfection in that first year is not an option - it's an absolute *must*.

The problem is that you are not reading the small print on each screen in the rental section for some instances. In other instances it's because the program really doesn't provide the clarity necessary. For example, if you put rental use (or business use, depending on how it's worded) percentage at less than 100% and if you claimed *ANY* personal use days of the rental portion of your residence, more than likely you cancelled out the need for any depreciation. Here's a brief explanation/clarification.

Percentage of floor space that is exclusive to the renter - This will of course be less than 100% if it's your primary residence and you're renting out a room or two of your residence.

Percentage of business use - This *MUST* be 100% (one hundred percent). If you are renting out 20% of your floorspace, then then business use percentage of that 20% of your floor space is one hundred percent business use.

Days of personal use - This will be ZERO. Of the 20% of your floor space that you are renting out, that 20% is one hundred percent business use with *Z*E*R*O* days of personal use.

Below is the complete synopsis.

Date of Conversion - If this was your primary residence before, then this date is the day AFTER you moved out. If renting a room in your house, then this is the date the room or space was "available for rent".
In Service Date - This is the date a renter "could" have moved in to the property or to the room if renting out a room or space in your primary residence. Usually, this date is the day you put the FOR RENT sign in the front yard.
Number of days Rented - the day count for this starts from the first day a renter "could" have moved in. That should be your "in service" date if you were asked for that. Vacant periods between renters count also PROVIDED you did not live in the house for one single day during said period of vacancy, or did not utilize the room or space in  your residence for personal use while it was vacant.
Days of Personal Use - This number will be a big fat ZERO. Read the screen. It's asking for the number of days you lived in the property (or utilized the space in your house for personal use.) AFTER you converted it to a rental. I seriously doubt (though it is possible) that you lived in the house (or space, if renting a part of your home) as your primary residence or 2nd home, after you converted it to a rental.
Business Use Percentage. 100%. I'll put that in words so there's no doubt I didn't make a typo here. One Hundred Percent. After you converted this property or space to rental use, it was one hundred percent business use. What you used it for prior to the date of conversion doesn't count.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies