For over 6 months I was Head of Household with my dependant daughter. I July of last year, she moved out and Imoved to Salem and live with my boyfriend. I don't want to mess up his taxes as he is a homeowner and head of household for the rest of the yea

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Melaine

You can still file Head of Household if you paid for over half the care for your daughter for over 6 months in the tax year and she was your dependent.  Because you did not include her age, please complete the IRS questionnaire; Who Can I Claim As A Dependent?  If your boyfriend also has a dependent (not you) he can also file Head of Household.  Because you were not there for the year he cannot claim you as a dependent.   You can both complete the IRS questionnaire  What Is My Filing Status to verify that you can both claim that filing status.

Melaine

My daughter was 20 for 4 months and 21 for 3 months during that time.  So, we can both claim "Head of Household" for 2016 even though I am showing his address now?