turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

For filing a 2018 return, is my understanding of the question "Is this [presumably, Tax Year 2018] Jane's first year of college?" correct as framed in the 3 cases below.

Consider the question posed and the explanation offered by TurboTax:

Is this [presumably, Tax Year 2018] Jane's first year of college?

Let us know if this [presumably, Tax Year 2018] is Jane's first year of school at a college or eligible school, as of January 1, 2018.

Now consider three cases...  

Case I: The first day of Jane's first semester at college was on or about August 27, 2018 and her second semester began on or about January 10, 2019.  

Case II: The first day of Jane's first semester at college was on or about January 10, 2018 and her second semester began on or about August 27, 2018.  

1st Proposition: Since Jane was not yet in college on January 1, 2018, the answer to TurboTax's question for Case I and II is NO. 

Case III: The first day of Jane's first semester at college was on or about August 27, 2017 and her second semester began on or about January 10, 2018. 

2nd Proposition: Since, this is the only case when Jane is in college on January 1, 2018, this is the only one in which the answer to TurboTax's question is YES.

Are my two propositions correct?

Thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

For filing a 2018 return, is my understanding of the question "Is this [presumably, Tax Year 2018] Jane's first year of college?" correct as framed in the 3 cases below.

The "first year of college" for the IRS covers the calendar year January 1 - December 31.  (In your scenario, the calendar year 2018.)

If Jane begins attending college classes any time during that year, it's her "first year of college."

Don't blame TurboTax or the IRS for this wording.  Congress wrote the law.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

The "first year of college" for the IRS covers the calendar year January 1 - December 31.  (In your scenario, the calendar year 2018.)

If Jane begins attending college classes any time during that year, it's her "first year of college."

Don't blame TurboTax or the IRS for this wording.  Congress wrote the law.

A clear, concise and prompt answer!  Thank you very much!!!

My pleasure to help!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies