turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

For as long as I can remember I have always received a state refund. This year I owe $2,385 for state. I am getting a $262 Federal Refund. Why the discrepancy?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

For as long as I can remember I have always received a state refund. This year I owe $2,385 for state. I am getting a $262 Federal Refund. Why the discrepancy?

Every year situation is different with taxes.

You only get a refund if you paid more in state taxes throughout the year than you were legally responsible for.  If you paid the right amount, you'd get no refund, and if you paid too little, you would owe.

On W-2 Form Line 17 you can see the total amount of state income tax that was withheld from the employee's wages.

Hope its help.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Every year situation is different with taxes.

You only get a refund if you paid more in state taxes throughout the year than you were legally responsible for.  If you paid the right amount, you'd get no refund, and if you paid too little, you would owe.

On W-2 Form Line 17 you can see the total amount of state income tax that was withheld from the employee's wages.

Hope its help.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies