Solved: For as long as I can remember I have always received a state refund. This year I owe $2,385 for state. I am getting a $262 Federal Refund. Why the discrepancy?

For as long as I can remember I have always received a state refund. This year I owe $2,385 for state. I am getting a $262 Federal Refund. Why the discrepancy?

Every year situation is different with taxes.

You only get a refund if you paid more in state taxes throughout the year than you were legally responsible for.  If you paid the right amount, you'd get no refund, and if you paid too little, you would owe.

On W-2 Form Line 17 you can see the total amount of state income tax that was withheld from the employee's wages.

Hope its help.

Hope its help.