turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Mike-Sz-

I tried to file my state return. It says the e-file fee is $24.99. My Deluxe package states the state filing fee is $19.99. How do I file for $19.99?

I need the answer so I can transmit my state return - thank you
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies
NickS

I tried to file my state return. It says the e-file fee is $24.99. My Deluxe package states the state filing fee is $19.99. How do I file for $19.99?

Is this the online program or a cd?

The box says prices subject to change.  The early prices just expired on 3/16 and went up to the full price of 24.99.  Or you can print and mail the state for free.  Prices always change in Mid-March each year.
c3r1h5

For 2018, they increased on March 1st.  The "price is subject to change" is crap.  TurboTax has lost customers for pulling features from their software quietly expecting no one to notice.  I decided to use them again for my 2017 taxes after switching to TaxAct because of TurboTax's prior business tactics, but I'm done.  There's better competition out there.  This company is ridiculous and short-sighted for a small increase in revenue now, but a lost customer forever.
bclayw

I got the same information when I called Turbotax. They said the lower price was for early filers but no where is there a warning in case you want to save the $5.  Kind of a sneaky way for them to get an extra $5 when they know so many file after March 1.
Mike-Sz-

The Deluxe CD box stated $19.99 for filing the state return. During the final transmission steps $24.99 was requested as payment. It appears Intuit changed the price in mid-March wit no prior notice. I called Intuit and they will refund the $5.00 extra I had to pay to file the state return.  Not good policy, Intuit.

Good.  I didn't think they would refund that.  Somewhere on the box on the side or back in fine print it does say Price subject to change and/or price is determined at the time of filing.
Mike-Sz-

Right. I bet the CEO of Intuit would be upset if he ordered a steak at a restaurant for $50 and when paying the waiter told him the price went up while he was eating.  Thanks again for the answer.

How can I pay it

I always file my state return by mail. California's forms are scanned and the refund comes promptly. No need to pay this absurd fee in my mind. Even mailing it certified only costs about $5.50. So save $20 and buy yourself something useful. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies