turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

For 2018 I entered tax free mutual fund distributions, it did not crosswalk to CA tax form, so now I owe taxes on "tax free" account? What happened?

Why didn't the state form pick up the tax free distribution as had happened on my previous professionally prepared returns?  Instead, the distribution become "additional CA income" thereby taxable.   Please help me correct this problem.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

For 2018 I entered tax free mutual fund distributions, it did not crosswalk to CA tax form, so now I owe taxes on "tax free" account? What happened?

IF they were actually CA individual bonds you owned, then they could be CA-non-taxed.

BUT

......for Mutual Funds, the Fund must hold at least 50% of it's assets as CA bonds before you can get any of it released from CA taxation.

Now..if you are sure that the bond fund you own does meet that CA-restriction, then post back and I'll show you how to do it.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

View solution in original post

1 Reply

IF they were actually CA individual bonds you owned, then they could be CA-non-taxed.

BUT

......for Mutual Funds, the Fund must hold at least 50% of it's assets as CA bonds before you can get any of it released from CA taxation.

Now..if you are sure that the bond fund you own does meet that CA-restriction, then post back and I'll show you how to do it.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies