Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kashray12345
Returning Member

First time filing US Tax return - New Green Card Holder - Income from Canada - Thank you

Hello, I am US citizen and married to a Canadian citizen. My wife lived in Canada from Jan 1st, 2017 to Feb 8th, 2017. She had her visa interview on Jan 26th, 2017 (she cleared the visa interview for the green card) and she moved from Canada to the USA on Feb 8th, 2017

She was working there in Canada until Feb 6th, 2018. I am filling a joint TAX return. Do we have to report her foreign income from Jan 1st, 2017 to Feb 6th, 2017?

She got her green card on hand approximately somewhere around April 2017, but as I said she cleared her visa interview for a green card on Jan 26th, 2017.

Any help is much appreciated. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

First time filing US Tax return - New Green Card Holder - Income from Canada - Thank you

The residency period has no bearing on what you declare as income.   I moved from British Columbia to California in 1995 and the problem is, Canada taxes based on residency whereas the US taxes based on citizenship (unlike all the other countries in the world).  Generally US Taxes are lower than Canada and you will get a credit for foreign taxes paid, so generally what you do is to report worldwide income and if you paid high Canadian taxes (I guarantee you did) your USA taxes for that time period will be wiped out.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies