turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jlc872

Spouse owes child support, I was notified that joint return refund was offset, i am primary income. Filed 8379, is $ taken back from his ex or is it not disbursed yet?

I have already received the offset refund and am concerned about where my portion of our refund where come from.  Does the IRS take it back from her? Has the money been disbursed to her? Not looking to damage relationships, he has been paying increased amounts to clear arrears. Also don't want my husband to end up in trouble. Thank you.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Spouse owes child support, I was notified that joint return refund was offset, i am primary income. Filed 8379, is $ taken back from his ex or is it not disbursed yet?

First, let me say that every state is different so you must check with the particular state and many will not provide specific information but they have procedures that must be followed.  Usually with an income tax offset, the money taken is not automatically given to the ex spouse for the child support, there is a waiting period so claims- like Injured Spouse- can be processed.  For child support, they will not make the ex-wife "pay back" the money just because you qualify to get the refund.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply

First, let me say that every state is different so you must check with the particular state and many will not provide specific information but they have procedures that must be followed.  Usually with an income tax offset, the money taken is not automatically given to the ex spouse for the child support, there is a waiting period so claims- like Injured Spouse- can be processed.  For child support, they will not make the ex-wife "pay back" the money just because you qualify to get the refund.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies