turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

FINALLY OFFICIAL ... IRS 2023 TAX SEASON TO START 1/23 FOR PROCESSING

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies

👍

LVV

I am trying to efile a return on 2021 Turbo Tax Home & Business but it says IRS efile closed.  Do I need to do something(update perhaps)?

@LVV A 2021 tax return cannot be e-filed.  The only way to file a 2021 return is by mail.  Only a 2022 return can be e-filed.

When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s.  Use a mailing service that will track it, such as UPS or certified mail so you will know the IRS/state received the return.

Federal and state returns must be in separate envelopes and they are mailed to different addresses.  Read the mailing instructions that print with your tax return carefully so you mail them to the right addresses.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
ee-ea
Level 15

@LVV  TurboTax files only 2022 returns by e-file now.   You have to print the 2021 retuurn and mail it.

STYX
Returning Member

That's interesting due to the fact that the IRS said it would accept my 2021 return E-filed after the 20th.  They instructed me to file it electronically after the 20th and then wait for it to process electronically before filing my 2022.  This is directly from the IRS after talking with them for over 2 hours explaining everything.  So is it just your software that's incapable of filing the taxes electronically due to a programing error or do you have a miscommunication with the IRS on what is allowed.  I talked to several levels confirming this information and they all told me they accept 2021 taxes after the 20th of January.

@STYX The official start to the filing season was January 23.  Usually a few days ahead of that , the IRS takes a few returns in an early test batch.  So you were in a test batch.  No, the January 23 was not only for TurboTax.  It was for everyone who was not in a little test batch.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-sets-january-23-as-official-start-to-2023-tax-filing-season-more-he...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
STYX
Returning Member

Yes but the issue is TurboTax won’t allow the 2021 taxes to be filed electronically after October of last year and the IRS told me they will accept old taxes electronically when efile opens again after the 20th of Jan.  If it’s 20th or 23rd that’s not the issue.   The issue is turbo tax software hardlocks u from efiling your older taxes after the current year and the IRS will still accept efiles.  Seems like a major missed opportunity from your programming department.  

KamperK

Spoiler
Cant efile 1-26-2023

I just tried e filing fed and state. I noticed the captcha didnt show any pictures, just the checkbox.

the error message said “Tax year 2022 transmissions are not available”.

signed,

confused

@STYX You will not be able to e-file an earlier year return using TurboTax.  Only some paid tax professionals with professional tax software have the ability to do that.  The do-it-yourself TurboTax software cannot be used to file a past year return.  If you are trying to file a past year, print sign and date it in ink, and mail it in. 

When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s.  Use a mailing service that will track it, such as UPS or certified mail so you will know the IRS/state received the return.

Federal and state returns must be in separate envelopes and they are mailed to different addresses.  Read the mailing instructions that print with your tax return carefully so you mail them to the right addresses.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies