Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Filled federal income taxes before covid relief plan allowing first 10 grand not to be taxed. I owed $600 and with update i show $800 coming back what do i do?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

Filled federal income taxes before covid relief plan allowing first 10 grand not to be taxed. I owed $600 and with update i show $800 coming back what do i do?

The IRS is issuing automatic refunds beginning in May. Most people will not have to do anything.

The IRS will recalculate in two phases, starting with taxpayers eligible for the $10,200 exclusion. Next comes married filing jointly taxpayers who are eligible for the up to a $20,400 exclusion and others with more complex returns.

There is no need for taxpayers to file an amended return unless the calculations make the taxpayer newly eligible for additional federal credits and deductions not already included on the original tax return.

For example, the IRS can adjust returns for those taxpayers who claimed the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and, because the exclusion changed the income level, may now be eligible for an increase in the EITC amount which may result in a larger refund.

However, taxpayers would have to file an amended return if they did not originally claim the EITC or other credits but now are eligible because the exclusion changed their income.

Check your state refund. If that box has changed, you may be entitled to money back from your state.

Related Resource:

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

IRS will process your return as originally filed.

You must pay the amount owed as shown on your tax return.

@ErnieS0 

Give one good reason this is not so.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies