Filing my taxes after my daughter
Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest second stimulus info here.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Returning Member

Filing my taxes after my daughter

I made around $10,000 while my daughter had made $9000. She already filed her taxes first. Am I still able to put her down as a dependent since she still lives with me? 

3 Replies
Level 15

Filing my taxes after my daughter

How old was she in 2019?  Was she a full time student in 2019?

Returning Member

Filing my taxes after my daughter

she’s was 19 and a full time college student 

Level 15

Filing my taxes after my daughter

@Veronicav195 wrote:

she’s was 19 and a full time college student 

If she filed her 2019 tax return, did Not indicate on her tax return that she is a dependent and the IRS accepted her return, then if you file your tax return with her listed as a dependent it will be rejected by the IRS.  If you are eligible to claim her as your dependent then you would have to print and mail your tax return.  She would have to amend her tax return to change her dependency status.


She could be claimed as a dependent on your tax return if she meets all the requirements under the Qualifying Child rules.  However, with the incomes you are stating, it may be that she provided over one-half of her own support and if she did then can not be claimed as a dependent.

Use this IRS worksheet for determining support -


To be a Qualifying Child -

1. The child must be your son, daughter, stepchild, foster child, brother, sister, half brother, half sister, stepbrother, stepsister, or a descendant of any of them.
2. The child must be (a) under age 19 at the end of the year, (b) under age 24 at the end of the year and a full-time student or (c) any age and permanently and totally disabled.
3. The child must have lived with you for more than half of the year. Temporary absences while away at college are considered living with you.
4. The child must not have provided more than half of his or her own support for the year.
5. If the child meets the rules to be a qualifying child of more than one person, you must be the person entitled to claim the child as a qualifying child.
6. The child must be a U.S. citizen or U.S., Canada or Mexico resident for some portion of the year.
7. The child must be younger than you unless disabled.

Dynamic Ads
Privacy Settings