turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

daesong

Filing for an installment plan when I don't meet the criteria on turbo tax.

I have finished filling out all my taxes. I owe taxes. I cannot pay all of it at once, so I am requesting an installment plan. However, when filling out the form on turbo tax, there is a requirement that I should have paid my previous income taxes on time, which I did not. So, then I'm stuck unable to finish filing my taxes. I want to know how can I finish filing my taxes, and how to request an installment plan. Thank you!
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Filing for an installment plan when I don't meet the criteria on turbo tax.

The requirement shown there is for the guaranteed installment agreement - i.e. if you meet certain requirements, the IRS has a policy of automatically granting a request for a plan.  But, you can still apply for an agreement. 

You can apply for an agreement online directly with the IRS.  I actually recommend you follow this route instead of filing for one through TurboTax anyways because the fees the IRS charges to set up an agreement are less with this method and you get an immediate response on your application.  You can file your return as normal through TurboTax and then instead of making a payment, you will tell the program you are going to pay by check and then ignore the voucher that prints out (or you can make a partial payment with it).  Then, go to the link below and file for an installment agreement with the IRS.

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/online-payment-agreement-application (link to application process)

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/payment-plans-installment-agreements (link for general information) 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies