turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

File for an extension

extension now

File for an extension

now pls

BillM223
Expert Alumni

File for an extension

@Monpatin75

Please see this TurboTax FAQ on how to file an extension.

This files an extension (form 4868) online.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
efbennett

File for an extension

I don't have a printer.  Can I send my extension electronically?

ToddL99
Expert Alumni

File for an extension

File for an extension

I just used the TurboTax Easy Tax Extension website at https://turbotax.intuit.com/irs-tax-extensions/ to create and file an extension, using info from my 2021 TurboTax Home and Business return that is not quite complete.

IT CALCULATED THE AMOUNT DUE INCORRECTLY! 

My total 2021 tax payment is much greater than my estimated total tax liabilty for 2021 and program subtracted correctly but did not include the negative sign and did not revise the answer for BALANCE DUE to zero. It appears that I have a balance due of several thousand dollars. 

The take-away: you must try to print and view before you file it. That is not the order in which TurboTax presents their process. Not sure if it's possible.....

NOW WHAT DO I DO???

And, why doesn't 2021 TurboTax Home and Business include the option to file an extension electronically? 

I am not a satisfied customer at this moment. 

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

File for an extension

Please reach out to TurboTax Customer Support for assistance. Support will be able to view your return with you to see what is happening.

What is the TurboTax phone number?

@EllenLB

File for an extension

Thank you for the thought and response, but the efiled Form 4868 was rejected by the IRS because there was another fatal mistake. Excellent!

Meanwhile, I efiled a new and correct Form 4868 using TaxAct, for free. However, without paying, I was not allowed to view or print the Form 4868 that I efiled. I don't like that! But there was enough feedback for me to know that the balance due was zero, as it should be. 

And can you answer please, why can't I efile an extension directly from my paid TT Home & Biz? 

TaxAct also stated that extensions are really only for those who have a balance due. If you don't owe anything, then you have 3 years to file. Is that true? I've never heard that before!

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

File for an extension

You should be able to file an extension from your software. When you open your TurboTax program near the bottom you should see "Want More Time To File this Year?" with a grey File an Extension button. 

@EllenLB

MAR561

File for an extension

I had the exact same problem as the individual above (the 4868 online turbotax failed to put  either a negative -- or a zero -- which is what the instructions want - no tax due.

As to the page you posted "when you open turbotax" - if you have started to enter a 1040 - it does not give you a way (at least I cannot find it) to find that page again to file it through the purchase on-computer edition.

I, too, am very unhappy --2 very frustrating errors in the program and online edition.

EDIT:  If I go to file, new tax return, it will then give me the option of filing an extension on the old return -- but appears to only give a paper option for me to mail.  Very frustrating.

Cherrymay

File for an extension

Need to file extension 

File for an extension

@Cherrymay wrote:

Need to file extension 

Go here - https://turbotax.intuit.com/irs-tax-extensions/

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies