Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Your taxes, your way. Get expert help or do it yourself. >> Get started
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

Federal taxes wages and income

My last job, I only worked there in January and some of February, and I cannot find my W2 for that. What should I do?
1 Reply
Intuit Alumni

Federal taxes wages and income

According to the IRS:

"If you have not received your W-2, follow these three steps:

  1. Contact your employer first.  Ask your employer – or former employer – to send your W-2 if it has not already been sent. Make sure your employer has your correct address. 
  2. Contact the IRS. After February 14, you may call the IRS at 800-829-1040 if you have not yet received your W-2. Be prepared to provide your name, address, Social Security number and phone number. You should also have the following information when you call:
    1.  Your employer’s name, address and phone number;
    2.  Your employment dates; and
    3.  An estimate of your wages and federal income tax withheld in 2016, based upon your final pay stub or leave-and-earnings statement, if available. 
  3. File your return on time. You should still file your tax return on or before April 18, 2017, even if you have not yet received your W-2. File Form 4852, Substitute for Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement, in place of the W-2. Use the form to estimate your income and withholding taxes as accurately as possible. The IRS may delay processing your return while it verifies your information."

Click the link below for TurboTax instructions:

Filing 4852 in TurboTax 

If you need more time to file you can get a six-month extension of time. File Form 4868, Application for Automatic Extension of Time to File US Individual Income Tax Return.  If you are requesting an extension, you must file this form on or before April 18, 2017.

If you receive the missing W-2 after filing your tax return and the information on the W-2 is different from what you reported using Form 4852, then you must correct your tax return. File Form 1040X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return to amend your tax return. 

File Your TT Extension - Free


About Community

Learn about taxes, budgeting, saving, borrowing, reducing debt, investing, and planning for retirement.



Manage cookies