Solved: Father passed away this pass year, who do I list a...

david9821

Father passed away this pass year, who do I list as first social security number when my Mother files her taxes?

My father passed away in 2020. I know my mother's filing status is still Married filing jointly for 2020.

This is a trivial question but when she files should she list her social security number first or his? It was always his first for all past years. 

I don't want to confuse the IRS.

I know for 2021 she is just single, she does not have any dependents with her. - Thanks

Mike9241

sorry for your loss. i would leave as is but make sure you indicate that "deceased" appears for him by checking the appropriate box. some have reported e-filing problems but switching can also cause issues.  if listing hin first doesn't work then try switching. if neither works you'll have to mail in the return.  this is an IRS issue not TT.

also make sure the Social Security Adm has been notified of the death. 

You can either go to their website or call 1-800-772-1213.

Mike9241