turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dpettits4

I was paid for taking care of both elderly parents. How do I claim the income on a married filing jointly return.

Last year I only did this part of the year. This year I will care for both parents full time the whole year. Should I file quarterly taxes this year. If yes, how do I do this?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DexterS

I was paid for taking care of both elderly parents. How do I claim the income on a married filing jointly return.

There are a couple of ways to approach this that depend on your total family tax situation.

They can each give you a gift of up to $14,000 a year and there is no reporting required.  You have no income to be taxed and earn no Self-employment (Medicare and Social Security) credit.  They would not be able deduct any of those funds on their taxes.

Your could report it as Self-employed income on Schedule C.  Expenses that you incur are deductible also on your Schedule C.  

They can take some or all of the expense as a medical deduction on their Schedule A.  Money they pay you for food, and personal care items would not be a medical expense to them.  

View solution in original post

6 Replies
DexterS

Are you being paid by some agency or from family funds?
dpettits4

family funds
DexterS

There are a couple of ways to approach this that depend on your total family tax situation.

They can each give you a gift of up to $14,000 a year and there is no reporting required.  You have no income to be taxed and earn no Self-employment (Medicare and Social Security) credit.  They would not be able deduct any of those funds on their taxes.

Your could report it as Self-employed income on Schedule C.  Expenses that you incur are deductible also on your Schedule C.  

They can take some or all of the expense as a medical deduction on their Schedule A.  Money they pay you for food, and personal care items would not be a medical expense to them.  

DennisS
Returning Member

From what I understand, we CANNOT deduct our 92 year old, dementia, invalid Mother because we make too much money.  Even though we pay 100% of her costs, save it be health costs.

DennisS
Returning Member

Mom just qualified to receive VA Benefits to pay for Care - is that what you are referring to?

Thank You

DennisS
Returning Member

Family Funds ?   Clarification for me if you don't mind

Thank You

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies